Hot Lunch Program
We are proud to offer the option for families to order a kosher, hot lunch every day. Lunch is provided by the CJDS and JCC Catering Department.
Lunch is $4.50 per day and must be ordered in advance. The 2018-2019 CJDS Hot Lunch program will begin on Monday, August 20th.
Parent and community volunteers serve lunch to our children every day. Steve Shkolnik is our lunch volunteer coordinator.
2018-2019 Hot Lunch Updates
For this coming 2018-9 school year, the CJDS Hot Lunch program will begin for our first full week of school, on Monday, August 20th. We are very excited to announce that we have made several changes to the program in order to provide healthy, well balanced options for our students that are even more economical.
- The main dish will continue to be provided by the JCC, but beginning August 20, CJDS will be now be providing fresh side dishes – freshly cut vegetables and fresh fruit, with select rice or potatoes as the meal warrants, and a small dessert.
- The cost for the hot lunch for the 2018-2019 school year is being reduced, to $4.50 per meal, or $22.50 per week.
We were able to lower the cost and provide fresh food by ensuring regular and predictable 5 day a week enrollment in hot lunch. Therefore, to allow for these two improvements that we are delighted to offer, families will no longer be able to sign up for select days per week. A menu will still be published for the quarter, and you will be able to choose to enroll for the entire quarter at the cost of $4.50 per meal (you will not be charged for any days when there are field trips or no school). You will, of course, also be able to pack a (dairy or vegetarian) lunch for your child instead of or in addition to hot lunch. Finally, registration for the hot lunch program will now be coordinated (both sign-up and payment) through CJDS. Please contact Kerry Selfinger, email@example.com, to sign up for the Hot Lunch program by August 16th.
Food at CJDS
- All food and snacks provided by CJDS, including for the Hot Lunch program, are kosher with an appropriate kashrut certification.
- Students should arrive each day with food for snack.
- All food brought into classrooms for snacks, as well as for sharing with groups, must be kosher and marked with an appropriate symbol of kashrut certification.
- Items baked in individual homes, even if the home is kosher, cannot be served in the classroom.
The list of symbols accepted by CJDS and the JCC is represented below.
We ask that only dairy or vegetarian items be brought in packed lunches. You have a choice of purchasing a Hot Lunch, by registering and paying in advance, through CJDS. Students who forget their lunch will be provided with an alternative meal by CJDS and charged for a Hot Lunch.
Students are not allowed to share food for Kashrut, allergy and food sensitivity reasons.